Why should I complete an Apprenticeship or Traineeship with a GTO compared to going direct to an employer?
- Firstly, when you contact a GTO, you have access to unbiased information and assistance in finding the right apprenticeship or traineeship for you. So a GTO is a great place to start
- GTOs have vast industry experience and connections. With a GTO, you have more choice and opportunities – you have access to a wide variety of host businesses rather than a single position
- You receive ongoing mentoring, support and feedback by highly qualified and dedicated Group Training Consultants who are committed to ensuring the best fit between apprentices/trainees and host employers
- You can gain extra skills and experience by changing your host business during your apprenticeship or traineeship
- GTOs can act as a mediator to resolve any workplace disputes or issues you may have with your apprenticeship/traineeship. They can also provide an alternative placement if this becomes necessary
- You have freedom from the risk of employer exploitation and protection from individual company downturns
- You have job security during your contract of training
If you’re an exceptional talent, you may be recognised through GTO state and national awards schemes and can participate in a national career development and leadership program
Who do I contact about Group Training Apprenticeships and Traineeships?
Contact the GTO directly. Visit the GTO Directory here. This will take you to a listing of GTOs in your state and locality and their contact details. There will be a number of GTOs that can potentially assist you so if some GTOs are unable to help then keep contacting others.
How does a Group Training Organisation help me to find an apprenticeship or traineeship?
Group Training Organisations know what opportunities are available across a wide range of industries and have branches in many locations, both metropolitan and regional areas. They can help you work out what will suit you best and advise you on how to achieve the career and lifestyle you want. From time to time, GTOs will have available positions advertised on their websites and in various online and printed media. You may be able to apply for these positions straight away. Otherwise, if a position is not immediately available, the GTO can register your details and contact you when the opportunity arises. For more help, visit the GTO Directory here
What are the wages and conditions for apprentices and trainees?
Apprentices and trainees are generally covered by the same employment conditions as other employees. However, they are also subject to the conditions of their training contract. The training contract is an agreement that the apprentice or trainee and their employer sign detailing the workplace based training that will be provided. It also confirms any off-the-job training which is delivered by a Registered Training Organisation.
How much you earn depends on the industry you are in, the job you are doing and which industrial arrangement you come under:
- Industry Award
- Certified Agreement
- State or Territory approved contract of employment
Group Training Organisations can provide details of the pay rates and conditions by industry.
What happens when I’ve completed my Apprenticeship or Traineeship?
You may be offered ongoing employment, you may choose to seek other employment or you may decide to further your education through university or other studies. Apprenticeships and traineeships are easily linked to further vocational education and university studies. If your host business offers you ongoing employment, it’s your choice whether to continue working with them or pursue other opportunities. A GTO can provide practical advice on career direction and opportunities assisting you with the next steps in progressing your career.
What happens if I don’t complete my Apprenticeship or Traineeship?
As GTOs are independent from your host employer, you can speak freely with them about any issues or doubts you may be experiencing. GTOs provide an objective perspective and will discuss your options as well as suggest a course of action. If you wish to complete your apprenticeship/traineeship later on, the GTO can assist with your return.